The Undergraduate Faculty Research Initiative (UFRI) Fellowship is designed to empower undergraduate STEM educators (who are currently employed by or transitioning to institutions with small research programs, such as community colleges, minority-serving institutions, or public undergraduate institutions) to understand and leverage their research contributions. The fellowship also primes educators to pursue collaborations with research partners at research-intensive institutions. This fellowship is a multi-level professional development opportunity to satisfy the following objectives: (1) to teach undergraduate educators different techniques to establish successful research partnerships, (2) to connect undergraduate educators to large research networks at ASM-sponsored research conferences, and (3) to mentor undergraduate educators to continuously build and sustain research networks.
Through participation in the fellowship, undergraduate educators will gain skills to:
- Develop productive undergraduate research programs integrating the latest science;
- Assess needs, barriers, and opportunities to advance their undergraduate research programs;
- Identify resources to attract new research partners;
- Build rapport and trust with leading research scientists committed to STEM development; and
- Establish and nurture meaningful research partnerships to advance undergraduate research at their home institutions.
Fellows will receive substantial mentoring and guidance through the following program benefits and activities:
- An interactive training orientation that will demonstrate how to maximize networks by using ASM resources and how to navigate research conferences to find collaborators
- A travel stipend of up to $2,000 to attend one of several eligible ASM-sponsored conferences (view list)
- Access to a one-year, online learning community that will provide additional training and assistance
- Assistance developing and refining a network plan to optimize any collaboration initiated at ASM conferences.
Links to General Information, Important Dates, Eligibility, and Apply Online (link will redirect to the ASM Online Application System)