ABRCMS-LINK Travel Award
- Strengthen connections between researchers and educators to advance science and student learning
- Support interdisciplinary collaborations that actively engage educators and their students in scientific research
- Create opportunities for increased exposure to and success in emerging and interdisciplinary areas of molecular, cellular and microbial biosciences
- Encourage sustainable collaborator networks and effective mentoring practices
- Broaden participation of the STEM workforce
Two leading strategies help achieve the Program goals:
- Creating avenues to connect established research investigators with advanced trainees, educators, and early-career scientists at ABRCMS and ASMCUE
- Supporting collaborations among research scientists, educators and/or advanced trainees that are mutually beneficial, well planned and sustained with ongoing networks and mentoring.
Active researchers who wish to identify and connect with mid- or early-career and future faculty instrumental in student learning in undergraduate biology should apply for the ABRCMS-LINK Travel Award. Support is up to and not exceeding $1,500. The ABRCMS-LINK Travel Award is supported by the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) and National Science Foundation (NSF).
Conditions of the Award
Successful awardees must commit to:
- Participating in all ABRCMS 2014 activities from Wednesday afternoon through Saturday evening (Conference Schedule)
- Participating in an ABRCMS-LINK focus group during ABRCMS
- Exploring and identifying potential collaborations with undergraduate faculty
- Engaging in an online community with other ABRCMS and/or LINK participants
- Completing surveys and contributing to discussions about the ABRCMS program
- Providing a post-meeting research profile for inclusion in a post-ABRCMS newsletter
Candidates must be:
- Active tenure-track or tenured research scientists engaged in the research priorities of NSF (NSF funded OR eligible for NSF funding)
- Active tenure-track or tenured research scientists interested in developing collaborations with faculty, early-career faculty and/or future faculty
- U.S citizens or U.S permanent residents
Criteria for Selection
All applications will be evaluated for the following criteria:
- Demonstrated and potential commitment to broadening participation in STEM research and education
- Demonstrated and potential commitment to collaborate in interdisciplinary activities and networks and/or differing student populations and educational approaches
Allowable expenses include those for ABRCMS registration, airfare, ground transportation and/or hotel expenses up to and not exceeding $1,500. Non-allowable expenses include meals as they are provided at the conference. The award is a travel subsidy presented upon completion of travel and submission of receipts. Expenses will be reimbursed within 60 days of travel and upon receipt of expenses. All receipts must be itemized and submitted with a current expense report. Credit card receipts without an itemized account of the sale are not allowed.
The application deadline is Friday, October 3, 2014.
Candidates must complete a short online form providing the following information:
- Name and contact information
- Essay to describe your research focus and team. Discuss how your work advances interdisciplinary research, systems biology, and/or molecular and microbial sciences.
- Essay to describe your vision of broadening participation of underserved populations in science, enhancing the integration of research and education, and improving learning.
- Essay describing a potential or developing collaborative mentoring and/or education project and/or your interest to collaborate.
- List of current (since 2009) research activities, including presentations, publications, grants and awards
- List of current advisees and/or collaborators, if applicable, and their role(s) and/or contribution(s)
Applicants should complete all sections of the online 2014 ABRCMS-LINK Travel Award Application by 11:59 PST on October 3, 2014. The online form must be completed in one sitting. The process may NOT be started, saved and returned to at a later time.
Click HERE to apply.
Please submit questions about the award or the process of applying to email@example.com.